Automated Payroll Upload, Cost Allocation, and Reporting
Every non-for-profit organization needs to invoice and report their expenses including allocated cost to their donors.
Those donors, especially federal and state organizations, have extensive reporting needs to ensure their grants are appropriated legally and effectively.
With a small staff of accountants, non-for-profit organizations struggle to accommodate all these needs.
S&A Technologies has developed tools to enable non-for-profit organizations to efficiently perform often tedious accounting tasks:
Upload external data like payroll or healthcare by person and job assignment
Allocation of staff cost, health care and overhead cost to separate grants
Generate automatic reports for donors and management
Together with Floyd D. Townsend CPA, S&A Technologies can streamline your account processes:
Host all data in your accounting system
Structure and streamline your month end process
Generate reports for donors and management
An example of an allocation sheet to break down shared cost to various grants.
Five Steps to Success:
1. Processes to streamline your accounting setup: In any accounting system it is easy for documents and lists to become bloated and disorganized. S&A Technology together with FDTownsend offers to:
Review Accounts: Deactivate unused accounts, merge redundant accounts, identify and preserve accounts as required by law or as necessary for reporting.
Review Classes: Ensure all grants, managed by the organization, are reflected correctly.
Review Donors / Customers: Ensure all invoiced organizations and their relevant information are represented, accessible, and manageable.
Additionally, S&A offers to create and normalize naming standards for all entries in every list.
2. Automate upload of payroll and healthcare expenses Expenses are often managed through the generation of payroll and healthcare expense documents for every employee. These documents are mapped to their respective accounts,
then uploaded into the accounting system as line items by employee, account and class.
This process, using customized Excel macros, can be streamlined. Delegating this process to a macro:
Facilitates ease of use, and minimizes overhead cost
Prevents human error and ensures data consistency
Ensures all reporting relevant information is stored and accessible
3. Allocation of shared costs Shared cost can be allocated to grants according to the specifications imposed by the grant donor. All shared costs are automatically collected in a general class and allocated correspondingly.
Then, using an Excel macro, a Journal Entry is generated that moves the cost from a general allocation class into their specific grant classes.
4. Reporting After all costs are allocated and uploaded, all reports can be serviced from the P&L of the accounting system. Accounts and classes are mapped to their reporting line items, as specified by the donors. These reports
are generated automatically through a customized Excel macro.
5. Supporting Documents Donors typically require supporting documents (bills) to verify the claims in the reports. To streamline this process, these reports can match line items with their corresponding documents on the accounting
system, package these documents and convert them into pdf format for management and analysis.